This full-time accounting specialist position is primarily responsible for weekly payables, cash receipts, semi-monthly payroll processing and general bookkeeping support. This position reports to the accounting and finance manager. This position is open until filled.
About Achieve Twin Cities
Achieve Twin Cities (formerly AchieveMpls) rallies community support and delivers best-in-class programs to inspire and equip young people in Minneapolis and Saint Paul for careers, college and life. Our vision is that all young people have full and equitable access to postsecondary education and career opportunities, creating a more just and vibrant community. We direct career and college readiness services in 28 Minneapolis Public Schools and Saint Paul Public Schools high schools; connect students with career exploration opportunities through Step Up high school and Achieve College Internships; host EDTalks, Principal Partner Day and other public engagement events; and serve as the nonprofit foundation for Minneapolis Public Schools. Learn more at www.achievetwincities.org.
The Young People We Serve
Twin Cities youth are our emerging leaders – talented, capable and ready to learn. We believe in the power of career and postsecondary readiness to enable young people to imagine and live rewarding lives, and we prioritize services for our students who face systemic barriers to access. 70% of Minneapolis Public Schools students are youth of color, 60% are eligible for free or reduced lunch, and 32% call a language other than English their home language, with nearly 90 different languages spoken in the district. In Saint Paul Public Schools, nearly 80% of students identify as non-white, two-thirds are eligible for free and reduced lunch, and over 125 languages and dialects are spoken in the district.
Accounting Specialist Duties and Responsibilities
- Review payables, receipts and all backup documentation for accuracy and completeness per organizational procedures
- Support Achieve staff and supervisors with proper coding and submission of payables
- Process all accounts payable, including Minneapolis Public Schools fund requests
- Prepare all payables weekly and run reports for review
- Complete all edits to payables as necessary, determined through review process
- Coordinate with check signers to get all checks properly signed
- Mail and distribute checks weekly
- Process credit card statements monthly
- Collect W9s as required before processing payables; manage request for updated forms for Achieve vendors on an annual basis
- Prepare 1099s annually
- Maintain all payables documentation and records
- Coordinate physical receipt and counting of cash/currency
- Coordinate staff for mail processing two days per week
- Process and deposit checks into bank account using remote deposit from our office two days per week (Mondays and Thursdays)
- Enter deposits into Financial Edge accounting software
- Draft coding for cash receipts; for approval by director of finance and operations
- Enter credit card donations into Financial Edge accounting software
Payroll Accounting and Benefits Administration
- Prepare and process semi-monthly payroll; create journal entry for payroll, salary, and benefit allocations
- Work with HR and Finance team members to update and ensure accuracy of benefits deductions
- Track employee professional development spending
- Provide monthly payroll report of employee contributions to development department
Minneapolis Public Schools Funds
- Communicate with school fund managers to provide guidance about fund deposit and request processes, payables status, fund balances and other inquiries
- Produce quarterly fund reports and ad-hoc reports as needed, and distribute reports to fund managers
- Update contact lists for MPS funds
Bookkeeping and Finance Team Assistance
- Assist with month-end procedures as assigned, including journal entries, account reconciliations, etc.
- Help maintain up-to-date procedural documentation and desk instructions
- Keep templates updated as necessary for check requests, reimbursement requests, credit card report forms, etc.
- Support Achieve staff with the understanding of accounting-related forms and processes
- Maintain voided checks file
- Scan and file documents for digital review
- Communicate with Achieve staff about status of payables
- Assist in providing transaction data / GL reports as appropriate for budget tracking
Serve as a member of the Operations Team
- Support organization-wide strategic goals
- Maintain up-to-date expertise and knowledge related to job functions
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
Qualifications and Experience
- At least 3 years of accounting experience, with emphasis on processing payroll and payables
- Strong computer and Excel skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills with the ability to work with team members across the organization and Minneapolis Public Schools
- Highly values the importance of attention to detail and data accuracy
- Ability to work from the office at least 2 days per week (typically Mondays and Thursdays)
- Commitment to Achieve Twin Cities mission, vision and values
- Ability to communicate and work well with people with diverse backgrounds and experiences
- Comfort and experience with customer service-type roles
- Experience with Financial Edge NXT and/or Raiser’s Edge NXT
- Experience in nonprofits and/or education field
Compensation and Benefits
- $22.90 - $26.50 starting hourly rate, depending on experience, with opportunity for compensation increases based on an annual performance review and to reflect pay parity across the organization.
- Full-time, non-exempt position.
- 18 paid holidays including 3 floating holidays and 8 half-day summer Fridays, 18 vacation days in year one (with increases based on length of employment), up to 10 sick days per year, and additional paid leave options for bereavement, compassionate leave, parental leave, and more. Hours are prorated for part-time employees.
- Other benefits include medical, health savings account option, dental, vision, life insurance and annual professional development funds.
- We offer a flexible schedule in a hybrid work environment that includes partial remote work.
Applications are welcomed from a broad range of applicants. Send letter of interest and resume to HR@achievetwincities.org. This position is open until filled. Interested candidates are encouraged to apply immediately.
Achieve Twin Cities is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer
Our Commitment to Equity
Achieve Twin Cities is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer that is committed to hiring talented individuals who are passionate about our mission and represent the diverse identities of the communities we serve. We acknowledge and honor the fundamental value and dignity of all persons. We do not tolerate discrimination and harassment on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, culture, religion, ability, veteran status, national origin, age, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, class, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics. We seek to build a staff that is reflective of the students we serve and our values of equity and inclusion to embrace differences, eliminate racism and other forms of bias, and create an inclusive workplace where all employees feel valued, heard and respected.
Applicants’ Rights under Federal Employment Laws