Step Up Employer Engagement Associate
The Step Up employer engagement associate provides vital support to Step Up partner employers to maximize summer internship opportunities. Along with the Step Up program team, they develop and deliver strategies for engaging current and prospective employers at Twin Cities companies. They also work closely with the Step Up youth services team to ensure high quality internship placements, support interns and supervisors during summer job coaching and assist with intern work readiness trainings. This position reports to the Step Up employer engagement manager. Priority is given to applications received by May 13.
About Step Up
The Step Up Youth Employment Program prepares today’s youth for tomorrow’s careers by recruiting, training and placing more than 1,400 Minneapolis young people (ages 14-21) in paid internships each year with over 200 regional employers, from Fortune 500 companies and small businesses to public agencies and nonprofits. As one of the nation’s leading youth employment programs, Step Up leverages a collective of more than 200 partners spanning 15 industries and multiple sectors. Step Up has provided over 30,000 internships since 2003, yielding a competitive talent pipeline, a stronger economy and millions of dollars in wages for Step Up interns. Step Up is a partnership of Achieve Twin Cities, the City of Minneapolis, DEED CareerForce Centers and Project for Pride in Living.
The Young People We Serve
Step Up supports historically underrepresented Minneapolis youth who are ready to navigate the professional world. Step Up interns are the leaders of tomorrow, the talent that will power our region and reflects the global fluency of our communities. Nearly 91 percent of Step Up interns are youth of color and more than 50 percent come from immigrant families. Our recent interns were born in over 15 countries and speak more than eight unique languages.
Duties and Responsibilities
Deliver strategies for engaging current and prospective employers at Minneapolis-St. Paul companies:
- Promote and engage Step Up to Minneapolis-St. Paul companies, ranging from non-profits to large corporations and public agencies, through email campaigns, presentations and networking.
- Promote internship opportunities among existing employers and new prospects; collaborate with the Step Up manager of employer engagement to set and meet internship goals.
- Provide outstanding customer service to Step Up partner companies through strong relationships with executive champions, main contacts and supervisors.
- Continually update CRM (customer relationship management) database to track each company’s progress in developing internship plans and providing required information/documents.
- Work within a designated industry portfolio to target specific companies based on their interest and growth opportunities.
Create high quality internship placements:
- Make quality internship placements based on employer needs and intern skills and interests.
- Collaborate with the Step Up team to determine best employer placements for all interns.
- Approach internship placement through an equity lens.
- Become proficient in the CRM database to find the best internship matches.
- Create placement strategy to achieve 100% placement goals.
Support Step Up interns, supervisors, and job coaches throughout the internship:
- Work with interns, employer main contacts, and supervisors to support onboarding, verify start dates and ensure that internships have a successful start.
- Serve as a job coach to offer ongoing, additional support to Step Up interns and supervisors.
- Perform formal check-ins with supervisors and interns to assess their experiences and gather feedback to inform and strengthen Step Up programming.
- Send weekly communications to interns and supervisors with programmatic highlights via email communications.
- Answer intern and supervisor questions and concerns in a timely manner and troubleshoot challenges as needed.
Support Step Up youth recruitment and training:
- Support the Step Up youth services team with presentations and recruitment tabling at schools and community organizations as needed.
- Support Step Up work readiness trainings and other enrichment events for Minneapolis youth, including intake conversations, mock job interviews and the overall flow of these events.
Qualifications and Experience
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively and build trusting relationships with the Step Up team, employer partners and young people
- Commitment to anti-racism and equity in access to postsecondary opportunities
- Experience working with populations similar to the young people we serve, and an open, positive attitude and commitment to youth
- Task-oriented, results-driven team player; willingness to help and complete multiple projects at once
- Persistent, flexible and able to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail and ability to meet deadlines
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Determination and drive, excellent problem-solving skills
- Competency in Microsoft Office Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Bachelor’s degree from accredited college or university or equivalent work experience
- Individuals with proven success in sales are encouraged to apply
- Experience in marketing, communications or sales
- Knowledge and experience in work-readiness, secondary education or college-readiness
- Experience with Microsoft CRM
Compensation and benefits
- $37,000 - $42,000 starting salary, depending on experience, with opportunity for compensation increases based on an annual performance review and to reflect pay parity across the organization.
- 18 days of PTO (with increases based on length of employment), 15-18 paid holidays, including eight half-day summer Fridays.
- Other benefits include medical, HSA option, dental, vision, life insurance, annual professional development funds, opportunity for promotion to senior associate after one year and more.
- We also offer a flexible schedule that includes partial remote work in a hybrid environment.
How to Apply
Applications are welcomed from a broad range of applicants. Send letter of interest and resume to HR@achievempls.org. Priority will be given to applications received by May 6. Position open until filled.
Achieve Twin Cities is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Our Commitment to Equity
Achieve Twin Cities is committed to hiring talented individuals who are passionate about our mission and represent the diverse identities of the communities we serve. We acknowledge and honor the fundamental value and dignity of all persons. Our hiring decisions are guided by our equity values: embracing differences—race, culture, religion, ability, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, and class—eliminating racism and other forms of bias and creating an inclusive workplace where all employees feel valued, heard and respected. Learn about our mission, vision and values.